Home | What's New | Photos | Histories | Sources | Reports | Calendar | Cemeteries | Headstones | Statistics | Surnames
Print Bookmark

Aurora Remembered

In October 1837, two San Augustine men, H. M. Hanks and Colonel Almonzan Huston, former quartermaster general of the Texas army, teamed up to found the townsite of Aurora at present-day Port Arthur.34 One record indicates that the townsite contained 6,677 lots. Although Huston sold some lots to residents of San Augustine, no more than six transactions are recorded in Jefferson County, and the realty venture was soon abandoned. In time, the townsite’s name was transferred to nearby “Sparks’ Settlement,” at the mouth of Taylor’s Bayou, where John and Solomon Sparks settled in 1841 and operated a ferry.
Chapter VI: A History of Jefferson County, Texas Early Town-Building and Government By W. T. Block

Settlement on the Sabine Lake, first known as Sparks Settlement, and is now Port Arthur, where the Sparks, Courts, Gentz, Burrell, Johnson, Clark, Hayes, and other families lived from 1830s until late 1890s when disease, hurricanes, and mosquitos forced the families to abandon their settlement, moving further inland to Port Neches, Groves, and Beaumont.


» Aurora Remembered     «Prev «1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next»     » Slide Show

Loading...

Aurora Remembered, Site of Old Aurora

corner of Woodworth and Procter Street, Port Arthur, Jefferson Co, Texas


Owner of originalSherry Sharp
Date17 Apr 2010
File name100_0443-43.jpg
File Size98.81k
Dimensions1000 x 391
AlbumsAurora Remembered

» Aurora Remembered     «Prev «1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next»     » Slide Show