Home | What's New | Photos | Histories | Sources | Reports | Calendar | Cemeteries | Headstones | Statistics | Surnames
Print Bookmark

Aurora Remembered

In October 1837, two San Augustine men, H. M. Hanks and Colonel Almonzan Huston, former quartermaster general of the Texas army, teamed up to found the townsite of Aurora at present-day Port Arthur.34 One record indicates that the townsite contained 6,677 lots. Although Huston sold some lots to residents of San Augustine, no more than six transactions are recorded in Jefferson County, and the realty venture was soon abandoned. In time, the townsite’s name was transferred to nearby “Sparks’ Settlement,” at the mouth of Taylor’s Bayou, where John and Solomon Sparks settled in 1841 and operated a ferry.
Chapter VI: A History of Jefferson County, Texas Early Town-Building and Government By W. T. Block

Settlement on the Sabine Lake, first known as Sparks Settlement, and is now Port Arthur, where the Sparks, Courts, Gentz, Burrell, Johnson, Clark, Hayes, and other families lived from 1830s until late 1890s when disease, hurricanes, and mosquitos forced the families to abandon their settlement, moving further inland to Port Neches, Groves, and Beaumont.


» Aurora Remembered     «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11» Next»     » Slide Show

Loading...

Aurora Remembered




Owner of originalJohn Sharp
Datec 1992
File nameAurora-estab.jpg
File Size74.96k
Dimensions800 x 661
AlbumsAurora Remembered

» Aurora Remembered     «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11» Next»     » Slide Show